Since the early days of SEO a big question has been: Should we outsource our SEO or do it in-house? Here’s a good SEO infographic that goes into explaining the benefits of SEO outsourcing to companies. It goes into how much you save, cost of SEO outsourcing as well as a few scenarios you should pursue if you engage with an outsourced team. As always, kudos to the author!
This time we talked about best practices in building successful teams in technology / digital start-up companies. A discussion panel (Jennifer Aubin of Techbent and Marc Wachmann of Grow Wireless) moderated by Kurtis Lesick of ACAD and a room of 20-25 people made for an intimate conversion about teams.
Here are some of my takeaways:
- It’s more difficult to get a good team together than to motivate it, especially in Calgary.
- Very tricky to get senior developers on board as they are looking for life-work balance.
- It is possible to create committed remote teams of senior developers.
- Respect is crucial in keeping the talented individuals in a team.
- Team events (even just going for beers) really helps.
- How do you screen a great team member? 1) ask behavioral questions, 2) talk about things not related to work (hobbies, interests).
- Start-up teams are a certain breed. How to choose the right team members for a start-up? 1) make sure he / she is right as a person, ready to do many things, very adventurous
- Something that has circulated in discussions before the event was