On Tuesday, September 22nd, Robin and I went to one of the Digital Alberta’s monthly mixers. I actually volunteered to coordinate the event for Digital Alberta by getting the panel members and the moderator together. In any case, it was definitely lots of fun throughout the process. Here are some of the highlights from the event:
A great networking event. Robin mentioned that he actually had a very productive evening talking to people from different walks of life.
Panel composition and the Moderator. A few of the guests at the event commented on the uniformity of the panel. I mean the panel was brilliant and we had a great discussion, but the panel composition could be more diverse next time.
Major points Social Media and next 500 days covered by the panel and the audience
- Social media is many different things. We have to be able to clearly define it, as well as its individual components such as social media marketing and social networks, platforms.
- Rene Smid (Executive Director at Digital Alberta) posed a great question about the average time investment required to reach success in social media networks. More in the video that’s coming up.
- Social media is just a new concept with roots in traditional business.
- Social media may not be the solution to every business problem.
- Companies should pay attention to their marketing strategy.
- Social media is about creating conversations and maintaining relationships.
- Social media is about sharing value with your network.
- Social media is here to stay.
The video compilation of the event by Roger Kondrat is coming up shortly, stay tuned!